The Dedication of the Historic Bulltown Marker
East Nantmeal Historical Commission
invites you to attend
the dedication and unveiling of the first
East Nantmeal Historical Roadside Marker
Revolutionary War HeroCol. Thomas Bull
followed by lunch and open house tour at Olde Bulltown Village
Saturday, April 12, 2014
Route 345 at Brownstone Lane
(At entrance to Olde Bulltown Village, just north of Rt. 401)
Historic Marker sponsored by Stoltzfus Enterprises, Ltd.
April 26, 2014 11:30 am
ROADSIDE HISTORIC MARKER HONORING
REVOLUTIONARY WAR HERO COL. THOMAS BULL TO BE UNVEILED
APRIL 12 IN EAST NANTMEAL TOWNSHIP
Elected officials and township citizens to attend dedication ceremonies by East Nantmeal Historical Commission
East Nantmeal Township, PA, April 3, 2014 — Colonel Thomas Bull, a Revolutionary War hero and prominent figure in the history of Chester County and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, will be honored with the dedication by the East Nantmeal Historical Commission of a roadside marker in East Nantmeal Township on Saturday, April 12.
Local elected officials, including State Senator John Rafferty, State Representative Tim Hennessey, Chester County Commissioners Kathi Cozzone and Ryan Costello, and the East Nantmeal Board of Supervisors, Jim Jenkins, Tyler Wren and Bill Cochrane, are expected to be on hand when the role in American history of Col. Bull and his Village of Bulltown is commemorated. Ceremonies, including remarks and the marker dedication, will begin at 11:30 am at Bulltown Road (Route 345) and Brownstone Lane, just north of Route 401.
The historic marker and the April 12 event are being underwritten by Stoltzfus Enterprises, which is emulating historic Bulltown in its nearby residential development. Stotzfus Enterprises will be hosting lunch and open house tours for ceremony attendees.
“This roadside marker recognizing Col. Bull and historic Bulltown is the first of what we hope to be several such markers in East Nantmeal, a township founded in 1742 which today has many historic resources and more than 50% of its land area permanently conserved,” said Tyler Wren, Vice Chair of the East Nantmeal Board of Supervisors. “It is important that we honor our history in ways like this, so that our citizens and future generations will better recognize and treasure our historic resources and the ‘great experiment’ that was realized in the colonization of America and the creation of our United States.”
Col. Bull acquired more than 500 acres of land around the site in 1783 with the intent of developing a plantation, as well as the grist mill, saw mill and other enterprise assets that would eventually become known as “Bulltown.”
At the time of the Revolution, the site was part of the Redding Plantation, now Reading Furnace, and became noteworthy following the “Battle of the Clouds” in September, 1777. After their ammunition and weapons had been drenched in a heavy rain, making effective defensive or offensive action impossible, Gen. George Washington and approximately 11,000 Continental troops camped nearby over a two-day period to rearm with supplies from the local furnaces. While Col. Bull was on a British prison ship at the time, his wife and family participated in the hosting at the plantation of Gen. Washington’s officers, and perhaps the great man himself.
The Bull Family Mansion House, across the road from the marker, is a significant and well-preserved historic resource. The exterior appointments, as well as the interior attributes, are fine examples of the late Georgian and Early Federal Period in American architecture, brilliantly capturing the transition between British influence and the independent American movement.