Now is the time for customers to take steps to prepare for colder weather
PHILADELPHIA (November 4, 2014) – With colder weather just around the corner, PECO is completing the final work to ensure its electric and natural gas systems are ready to serve customers all winter long – safely providing electricity and natural gas during the colder winter months. Now is a great time for customers to prepare for the colder months, too.
PECO has completed a thorough review of its electric system, including more than 22,000 miles of aerial and underground lines and other electrical equipment to meet increased demand during the winter. In addition, all tree and vegetation work also has been completed. This seasonal readiness work is a part of $500 million invested each year to continue to provide safe and reliable electricity for customers.
The company also has secured natural gas supply and completed filling storage facilities to serve more than 500,000 natural gas customers this heating season. Each year, PECO invests nearly $90 million in the company’s natural gas system, which includes equipment inspections, repairs and replacements, and preventive maintenance work. This year’s work included the installation of more than 10,000 feet of underground natural gas main, to meet the growing needs of customers. The company also completed 54 projects to replace more than 46,000 feet of existing natural gas line with new plastic pipe, which enhances safety, is more durable and improves service.
“It’s our responsibility to provide safe and reliable electric and natural gas service, and this work is critical to meeting the needs of our customers,” said Craig Adams, president and CEO. “As we prepare for colder weather, we encourage our customers to do the same by inspecting heating equipment to ensure safe and efficient operation.”
Customers also can take advantage of nice autumn days to weatherize their home:
- Clean air vents around the house.
- Install storm windows and doors.
- Check and freshen weather stripping and caulking around windows and doors.
- Install sealers behind electrical outlets.
Before overnight temperatures begin to dip into the 30s, PECO reminds customers to turn on their heaters and test their systems. Customers are encouraged to contact their heating contractor to schedule a service call for their heater if the system hasn’t been inspected and cleaned by a qualified service technician in the past two years. Regular service will ensure the heating system operates safely and efficiently for the season ahead.
For customers not heating with natural gas, PECO provides a variety of rebates to help make this switch more affordable:
- PECO Smart Natural Gas Conversion offers rebates up to $650 for residential and commercial customers that switch to natural gas from another fuel source.
- PECO Smart Gas Efficiency provides up to $350 in rebates for customers installing an energy efficient natural gas boiler, furnace or water heater.
- PECO Smart Home Rebates offers customers up to $1,000 for switching from an electric furnace, electric baseboard heat or from an air source heat pump system to an ENERGY STAR® natural gas furnace or boiler.
For more ways to save energy and money this winter, customers can visit www.peco.com/SmartIdeas or call 1-888-5-PECO-SAVE (1-888-573-2672).