East Nantmeal Historical Commission’s Spring Speaker Program News
Chester County Barns: Exploring Structural Origins,Development, and Traits
presented by Seth Hinshaw, Senior Historian, RGA, Inc.
Tuesday, April 17, 7:00PM at the Township Building
Historian Seth Hinshaw will cover the types of barns built in Chester County over the past three centuries. He will examine the earliest barns in the area, based on European barns, and show how changes in technology, crops, and livestock influenced later barn design. Finally, Mr. Hinshaw will outline which features can help provide an educated estimate on the age of any given barn. The HC plans to include info about some local barns listed on the Township’s Historic Resource Survey.
Seth Hinshaw is Senior Historian with RGA, Inc., a cultural resource management firm based in Cranberry, New Jersey. He has contributed to ten nominations for buildings or districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places, including the Nantmeal Village Historic District in East Nantmeal Township. He has served on project teams conducting historic resource surveys, historic resource impact studies, and historic structure reports.
~ Refreshments ~
For the schedule and location of Household Hazardous Waste pickups, see the 2018 HHW flyer with Accept and Non Accept
FREE CERTIFIED MASTER COMPOSTING CLASSES
The Chester County Board of Commissioners, through the Chester County Solid Waste Authority, offers FREE Certified Master Composting Classes. Attendance is required all three weeks to become certified.
Government Services Center –7:00 PM Sharp – 9:00 PM
Room 171 – 601 Westtown Road, West Chester, PA
Tuesday, March 13th, 2018
Tuesday, March 20th
Tuesday, March 27th
Trainees will learn how to compost, how to construct various compost bins, how to grasscycle, leafcycle and how to reduce food waste by vermi-composting. The Chester County Solid Waste Authority will provide training, materials, volunteer opportunities and support. To register or for more information, call 484-796-4041.
2018 East Nantmeal Township
Saturday April 7
(Rain or Shine)
Join the Great American Cleanup! Volunteer to pick up litter along our township roads.
To sign up and participate, please contact us at: email@example.com
Pick up trash bags at our Township Building
Monday – Thursday March 26th-29th (8:00am to 3:00pm)
Join us Saturday Morning April 7th from 8:30 – 9:30 am at the Township Building for coffee, doughnuts & trash bags!
- Pick up litter along the roadside any time Saturday morning through mid-afternoon.
- Fill the trash bags and gather them in small groups by the roadside for pick up late Saturday afternoon by our township road crew. (Or if convenient, you can drop them off at the township building where a dumpster will be available.)
- Safety tips:
- Wear gloves (provided!) and thick-soled, closed shoes
- Wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts
- Wear safety vests (provided!) or bright colors for roadside safety
- Wear sunscreen and bug repellent
- Be aware of your surroundings and the potential hazards associated with them (e.g., passing cars, hazardous tree branches, poison ivy, etc.)
- Use the “buddy system” …work in teams of two or three to maximize safety
- Drink plenty of fluids and keep “quick energy foods” on hand
- Take an occasional break
- DO NOT:
- Don’t pick up tires, hazardous materials such as hypodermic needles, sharp objects, car batteries, condoms, animal carcasses or other unidentified, questionable objects
- Don’t overstuff the bags
- Don’t attempt to move large objects such as cinder blocks, old household appliances
- HAVE FUN AND HELP KEEP EAST NANTMEAL BEAUTIFUL
Because of the predicted weather tonight’s meeting of the Historical Commission has been move to Thursday evening, January 18, 2018, at 7 PM.
Gardeners of all ages and experience are invited to a local seed swap. For additional information see Seed_Swap_Day or visit Chesco Seed Swap
For information on the 2018 Certified Master Composter please see the NEW 2018 MC Classes Flyer.