The East Nantmeal Township Environmental Advisory Council (EAC) is a state-sanctioned entity enabled by the PA General Assembly in 1973 under Act 148, which allows EACs to:
- Identify environmental issues and recommend plans and programs to the appropriate municipal agencies for the promotion and conservation of natural resources and for the protection and improvement of the quality of the environment within its territorial limits.
- Make recommendations for the use of open land areas.
- Promote a community environmental program.
- Keep indexes of all open space, publicly or privately owned, including flood prone areas, swamps and other unique natural areas, for the purpose of obtaining information on the proper use of those areas.
- Advise the appropriate local government agencies, including the planning commission and recreation and park board and the elected governing body, on the acquisition of property, both real and personal.
Our East Nantmeal Township EAC has 7 members, appointed by the Board of Supervisors. Its function is to offer guidance on environmental improvement and conservation. Since members are township residents, they are better equipped than a county or state agency to know about our environmental resources and concerns. EACs have no official powers and function strictly as an advisory resource to our supervisors, Planning Commission, and other township boards, commissions, and committees.
Our EAC has been engaged with issues related to: storm water, recycling, composting, native plants, organizing community clean-ups, and hosting educational programs on local farming practices and sustainable agriculture. In addition, the EAC spearheaded the – thus far – successful fight to prevent new gas pipelines from traversing our township.
Please see the Township Officials for the current members of the Environmental Advisory Council.
The EAC welcomes you to attend its meetings, scheduled on the second Monday of each month, at 7:30 PM in the Township Building. We encourage and welcome guests and their ideas
News and Events
- Environment and Our Health
- This Monday: The Environment and Our Health
- Chester County Climate Action Plan; March 4, 2021
- The Environment and Our Health: February 22, 2021
- Watch the EAC January Meeting on MOTUS
To receive our email announcements covering speaker series events and other opportunities to volunteer in the community (e.g. township clean-up day), please send your email contact information to EastNantmealEAC@gmail.com. We look forward to seeing our neighbors at the next EAC event!